Table of Contents
WordPress is a popular content management system (CMS) used by millions of websites around the world. One of the great things about WordPress is that it allows you to easily organize your content by creating and arranging posts in a variety of ways. In this article, we will show you how to reorder posts in WordPress.
Why Reorder Posts in WordPress?
There are many reasons why you might want to reorder posts in WordPress. For example, you may want to change the order of your posts to make them more logical or to highlight certain posts over others. You may also want to rearrange your posts based on the date they were published or the categories they belong to. Whatever your reasons, being able to reorder posts in WordPress is a useful skill to have.
How to Reorder Posts in WordPress
There are several ways to reorder posts in WordPress, depending on how you want to arrange your posts and what features your WordPress theme supports. Here are some common methods for reordering posts in WordPress:
Method 1: Use the Sorting by Date
The first method for reordering posts in WordPress is to use the sorting by date method. This method is simple and easy to use, and it allows you to rearrange your posts by sorting by date them into the desired order.
To use the sorting by date method, follow these steps:
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard and go to the Posts menu.
- Click on the All Posts submenu to view a list of all your posts.
- Hover your mouse over a post that you want to move and click on the three vertical dots that appear on the right side of the post.
- A menu will appear with several options. Click on the Edit option to open the post editor.
- In the post editor, scroll down to the Publish section and click on the Edit link next to the Publish date.
- A calendar will appear, allowing you to change the date and time of the post. Change the date and time to the desired date and time, and then click on the OK button to save your changes.
- Repeat these steps for each post that you want to reorder. Keep in mind that the posts will be arranged in ascending order based on the date and time you set for each post.
Method 2: Use the Post Types Order Plugin
Another option for reordering posts in WordPress is to use the Post Types Order plugin. This plugin allows you to easily change the order of your posts by dragging and dropping them into the desired position. It also supports custom post types, so you can use it to rearrange posts of different types, such as pages, media, and more.
To use the Post Types Order plugin, follow these steps:
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard and go to the Plugins menu.
- Click on the Add New submenu to view a list of available plugins.
- In the search field, type “post types order” and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
- Look for the Post Types Order plugin in the search results and click on the Install Now button.
- After the plugin is installed, click on the Activate button to activate it.
- Once the plugin is activated, go to the Settings menu and click on the Post Types Order submenu.
- The Post Types Order settings page will appear, allowing you to configure the plugin options.
- In the General Options section, select the post types that you want to reorder from the dropdown menu. You can choose to reorder all post types, or only specific post types.
- In the Drag and Drop Options section, choose whether you want to use the drag and drop method or the custom fields method to reorder your posts. The drag and drop method allows you to rearrange your posts by dragging and dropping them into the desired position, while the custom fields method allows you to specify the order of your posts using a numeric value.
- Once you have configured the plugin options, click on the Save Changes button to save your changes.
- Go to the Posts menu and click on the All Posts submenu to view a list of all your posts.
- Use the drag and drop method or the custom fields method to rearrange your posts in the order you want.
Reordering posts in WordPress is a useful way to organize your content and make it more accessible to your users. Whether you want to rearrange your posts based on their date, category, or some other criteria, there are several methods you can use to reorder your posts in WordPress. By using the drag and drop method, the Post Order and Post Order By plugins, or the Post Types Order plugin, you can easily rearrange your posts and make your WordPress website more user-friendly.